A short story about the elephant cave temple
Located in West of Bedulu Village, BlahBatuh district and Gianyar regency, it’s about 26 kilometers from Denpasar City or 1 hour from the airport.
The elephant Cave is one of the heritage sites in the archipelago. Actually Goa Gajah is building a temple, but because of it’s shape resembles an elephant then called Elephant Cave Temple (Pura Goa Gajah).
Where the origin of the word Goa Gajah? The word actually comes from the “Lwa Gajah”, a word that appears in book of Kertagama who is compiled by MPU Prapanca around the year 1365 AD and built around the 11th century. Like the fate of other historic sites, the site has also been buried in the ground before it was rediscovered around 1923.The cave is used as the meditation or sleeping quarters can be found in the wall of the cave. In addition there is also has “kolam petirtaan” with seven Bidadari (Nymph) statue meanwhile holding a holy water. In total there are seven statues, but when we visited there only six in number, according to the clerk of the statue was moved to another location, the earthquake a few years ago. Six statue is a symbol of the seven sacred rivers in India, which is the birthplace of Hinduism and Buddhism.Not far from the bathhouse thereis a stone structure fragments or debris of old buildings that have not been identified its origin and form of the original building.
Meanwhile on the right end side can be found three ‘linggas’, that each of them dedicated to the three of God manifestations in Bali, Brahma, Wisnu, and Siwa. There are other three stone carvings in the center of wall, one of them figuring head and face.
In front of the cave there is statue Shower, In the center there are statues of male symbol of Widyadhara (Nymph). So that is a short story about elephant cave temple.